Friday, January 18, 2013

Fly Friday - Trout Graphics

    For today's Fly Friday, since I still can't go fishing thanks to work, I wanted to demonstrate a little of the graphic work I have been doing lately for a client down in Florida.  I am not able to show you the actual work at this current time but I thought that I would mess around with some ideas I had floating around in my noggin and demonstrate this new medium for me.
  Paper and canvas artwork look good hanging on your wall but when you transfer it to print form and advertising it usually does not translate well.  Often times the painted work is too complex, too involved to be used as a promotional or advertising work, so sometimes you need something simpler, easily reproduced, and able to be blown up to any size you want.  That is where vectored graphics come in.
  Often guys that work on vector graphics will go from nothing to final image without picking up a pencil but I like to work with my hands and make quick changes on the fly.  In the image above I stuck with my 'roots' of using pen and paper.  Sketching it out yesterday while stuck in a hotel, I then took a black and white pic of it and uploaded it.  After cleaning up the edges in the computer I then converted it to graphic form.
   After the initial cleanup I then began the process of using the software to shade and color the image into a easily scale-able graphic image.  Every color is a layer that is laid down and then tweaked to my needs.  After a long time of tedious work (I am sure a skilled graphic artist with an updated computer would take much less time) I end up with the image to the left.
  Once I had the final trout image it is a simple step of placing it in the advertising, in this case the word TROUT.
  In the end, you end up with a fine piece of advertising that can be used as a header for your webpage, company store, business card, merchandise, or even billboards   These images have been converted back to JPEG form for ease of placing them hear but in the vectored graphics form they can be blown up to any size desired as long as your computer can handle it and your printer has enough ink.
  What does this have to do with fly fishing, trout, or flies???  Nothing, but I hope you like the image.

11 comments:

MrCachet said...

YYYYuuuup! I like the lettering side of things as well.

Feather Chucker said...

That looks really cool Joel.

Lance Milks said...

Now that's a cool logo!

Unknown said...

Agreed, that is a very cool logo. Well done!

Jay said...

Very nice work. You are a multi-talented artist and designer.
I wish I had some ability to work with my artwork digitally. The possibilities and applications seem endless.

Anonymous said...

Make it a Rainbow Trout, and, the Rainbow Chaser would be happy to have your work on my graphics for my site. Very nice work!

David McKenzie said...

That's killer Joel..nice work

cofisher said...

Wow, I just got an idea for a logo. This is amazing Joel.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Now if I only had a company to put it with. I'm sure your client is going to like this.

Unknown said...

Thanks to all of you for the response on this image. I've even had quite a few requests from fellow bloggers for their own graphics for tee's and headers. Without your support and constant kind words I couldn't keep this 'hobby' going. Thanks so much.

Valencia said...

This is cool!